The extensive-awaited Organ Transplant Monthly bill, 2021 will be tabled in Parliament for initially examining future week, Key Minister Robinah Nabbanja has reported.
The Monthly bill seeks to supply for
- Regulation of elimination, storage, transportation of human organs, tissues, and cells for therapeutic purpose
- Institution of the Uganda Organ Transplant Council
- Designation of hospitals as transplant centres
- Approval of human organ, tissue, and cell banking institutions
The proposed legislation is also meant to give for suitable consent for purposes of human organ, tissue, and cells donations and transportations.
It will also prohibit business dealings in human organs, tissues, and cells, to guard the dignity and identity of each and every individual.
This will ensure, with no discrimination, regard for their integrity and other rights and fundamental freedoms with regard to donations and transplant of organs, tissues, and cells.
The other objectives of the proposed law are
- To provide for a program to make sure equitable obtain to transplantation companies to patients, traceability of organs, tissues and cells and recall procedures
- To offer for offences and punitive penalties for illegal dealings in human organs, tissues, and cells and for similar matters.
In 2021, Mulago Medical center embarked on operationalizing its organ transplant area soon after it accomplished the development of the organ transplant theatre.
It is approximated that over 1,000 sufferers are in dire need to have of organ transplant.